Wednesday, February 28, 2007

african violets



A warm memory of my Nana involves her african violets. Nan and Pop lived in a top floor apartment in the Bronx. Small, let me tell you, but she was the best in using every 1/2 inch of space to the fullest. Her front windows had glass shelves where her african violets flourished. Perfect sunlight and the radiant heat below. I would sit and study them while the grown-ups talked their grown-up talk and Nan prepared all the hors d'oeuvres in the teensie kitchen (us kids felt so fancy saying that, hehe!). I started collecting african violets because of her and had some lovely ones. Then I moved to CA. We drove across country, and I was so careful to take care of them (there are lots of bumps in 3,000 miles of road!). When we hit the CA/NV border, the 'dirt patrol' jammed his fingers in the potting soil of every one of my violets to be sure I wasn't transporting NY earth into CA. Violets have extremely sensitive roots and within days I only had one sickly plant left from the bunch I'd brought with me. Not the best of times, but I've rebounded slowly. For the longest time, I'd walk past them at nurseries. Now plenty of years later I'm up to 14 plants, I have a window that they enjoy, I tend to them most every day, and they're blooming like champions. And it's all for my Nana ;).

ps. My favorite place to find beautiful violets is http://https://www.bluebirdgreenhouse.com/ but I'd suggest getting the plants themselves as leaves can be very tricky to start. They package extremely well!

2 comments:

Val Cox said...

Very funny story about the agricultural inspection and your precious flowers! I passed through those inspections many times having grown up in CA and NV, I know exactly what you are talking about and it made me laugh! When I catch you in an off moment Karen...when you're not busy with the kids, baking muffins or watching girl movies, I could use a tip on getting the African Violets to bloom. Fred bought some years ago, they look very healty, but haven't bloomed in years. Am I supposed to be 'feeding' them? Thanks for happy talk, I love this site. Where is everyone else? Come on...don't leave me talking to myself.... Val

karen said...

I keep most of them in african violet pots (a pot within a pot that wicks water - like a double boiler but water can pass through the non-sealed interior bowl). I've found that they like to be next to a southern window but still protected from cold or heat, and they need to almost dry out between waterings. I know, that doesn't make sense with the self-watering violet pots so let your watering duties slip now and then. A good hint is to water them when the leaves begin to wilt a little. To dust the leaves, I use canned air and spray them gently (that stuff can get cold!). Their fuzzy leaves collect dust easily and they need to breathe! Other than that, I think it's really my Nana tending to them. I can kill most any house plant, given the chance, but these always work for me, hehe!

And, yea, where IS everyone else?!