Thursday, March 8, 2007

the fairy's mission


One of the hardest silent jobs of being a parent is the act of being the Tooth Fairy. Another tooth came out last night amidst many tears. Poor thing thought everyone would laugh at her since it's one of those upper front teeth this time (and, let me tell you, it's a large gaping hole, lol!) but I consoled her and told her that everyone's teeth come out at her age and that half her class looks like swiss cheese. We got out her special tooth fairy box and found the perfect spot for it under her pillow. Since I'm up so early in the morning, I figured I'd just do my job in the wee hours. Sticking to my schedule, I tiptoed in with tooth payment in hand and slipped my hand under her pillow. No box. I shuffled my fingers around and couldn't find it anywhere, but I did manage to wake her up. Uh-oh! Luckily she thought it was still bedtime and said goodnight to me. Whew! I put my hand behind the bed and found it resting on the inside headboard. I plucked it up and placed it back under her pillow in case she wasn't as asleep as I thought, left the room and prayed that she'd fall back asleep. I muttered a few select words at myself for not being so careful, but that's another blog, hehe! 1/2 hour later, I crept back in and she was snoozing away. Whew again! I got the box and snuck to my room to do the exchange more quietly. No tooth in the box. Argh! Well, at least I had the box, I put the money in and replaced it. She was so happy that the tooth fairy came, which makes all the little frustrations so worth it :)! Still, I'll be glad when I can retire from the fairy position and will wear the newly sprouted gray hair proudly, hehe!

ps. I found the tooth on the floor behind her bed ;)

3 comments:

Val Cox said...

that is a great story, and lovely photo. Thanks Karen for sharing that with us! Val

Val Cox said...

oh, I meant to ask, what's a front tooth worth these days? For my sister and I (in the 1960's) we got 25 cents a tooth. What does the tooth fairy pay these days, adjusting for inflation? Val

karen said...

Teeth in our house go for $1 each. Period. It's hard explaining to the kids why some of their friends score $5 or $10 for a tooth, but we're staying consistent!