Friday, February 23, 2007

looking for the end


This week has been very busy, school-wise, and it's time for mom to take a breather. The teacher's birthday is today, party time follows lunch. The class will have a whooped up 40 minutes to sing Happy Birthday, open gifts, eat, run and scream then it's home. I saw them this morning and the excitement level is already at a critical level. My little one is giving this to the teacher. Just a pretty, mirrored box with the teacher's favorite candy (a necessary thing to know about your teacher!) and, of course, the mocha latte to go along with it. She'll need something to wash down those birthday muffins and to get her through to the end of the day, hehe! I fully realize that every mom isn't involved like I am and doesn't do what I do for the classes and teachers. Sometimes I'm jealous of their non-involvement but not at all in a bad way. It must be nice to not have this extra stuff to think about, and I would never fault anyone in any way for traveling the easy route. What I do is part of who I am - it's second nature (and it's a curse!). While I've tried to be less active, I just can't be. When I was young, first grade actually, I remember that was the one year that my Mom was room mom. Things were much simpler back then, but I absolutely remember the feeling of pride and joy when MY mom walked in with cupcakes and party makings. Such a strong feeling that to this day it's a driving force behind me. I see that feeling in my children's faces when I walk in the class ;). Hehe, and for the kids who've known me all these years, their faces also take on that dewey glow because they associate me with cupcakes!
Note to self: I've got to get out more with grown-ups!

1 comment:

Val Cox said...

oh Karen, I know just what you mean. I only went to my kids school a few times with treats or a pet to show off for show and tell/story time--and I sure admire that you do this as a part time volunteer job. I remember so well, once you described it, the way I felt one day in elementary school when my mom came to school with cookies or some treat for my birthday. I was so proud of how beautiful she looked and that this beautiful woman was the one who love me. It was a great feeling. Thanks for bringing back that little memory and warm glow! Val